Cold northwest wind swept the circuit but dry for the most of the time. 

The third round of the Boyndie Drome Open Championship was a busy day with a good entry and 28 races.


Sonny Brandie proudly displaying the IKR ‘SO’ plate took the time trial setting the fastest time of 54.444 seconds.  Katie Donaldson was second quickest and first timer Finlay Smith was third.

  • 1st Sonny Brandie (Newmacher)
  • 2nd Katie Donaldson (Dufftown)
  • 3rd Finlay Smith (Stuartfield)

Honda Cadets

Max Taylor was able to break away from the start building up a considerable lead taking his first victory.  A pack of five karts were vying for second Alex Hawcutt, Leon Hastie, Lennon Allardyce, Rhys Baillie and Taylor Thomson.  Position changes took place throughout the final.  Second place went to Hastie followed by Allardyce, Ballie and Hawcutt.  Konar Simpson came sixth and Aiden MacDonald seventh.

  • 1st Max Taylor (New Leads)
  • 2nd Leon Hastie (Markinch)
  • 3rd Lennon Allardyce (Peterhead)

Mini Max

It was Scottish Champion, Jonathan Edwards ‘S’ verses the Scottish Super Series Champion Calum Meldrum ‘A’ bearing letters instead of numbers.  Edwards took the lead followed by Meldrum.  A small gap opened between the two and Edwards took the victory.  Les Taylor came home third ahead of Ben Burnett, Nathan Smith, Chloe Grant and Rebecca McPhee.

  • 1st Jonathan Edwards (Cornhill)
  • 2nd Callum Meldrum (Glenrothes)
  • 3rd Les Taylor (New Leads)

Prokarts (hire karts)

Ben Gordon gradually opened a lead over Daniel MacRea to take the Prokart victory.  MacRae was second.  Close contest for third took place between Connor Wilson and Keiran Glen.  Glen did get ahead at half distance but Wilson regain the place a lap later.  Wilson took third and Glen fourth.  A group of five karts had a close battle was resolved in order of  Dane Christison, Rik Christie, Douglas Miller, Greig Sutherland and Liam Souter.

  • 1st Ben Gordon (Whiterashes)
  • 2ndDaniel MacRea (Inverness)
  • 3rdConnor Wilson (Rothiemay)

Senior Max

Tony Strachan charged away from the lights followed by Ryan Simpson and Fraser Skene. Skene, who had a poor start, soon recovered taking second on the four lap.  However Strachan was to far away to mount a challenge.  Strachan took the victory with Skene second and Simpson third.  Fourth home was Derek Strachan ahead of Steve Thomson.  A race long contest between Billy Falconer and Steven Bain was resolved in favour of Bain.

  • 1st Tony Strachan (Edinburgh)
  • 2nd Fraser Skene (Potterton)
  • 3rd Ryan Simpson (Macduff)

Senior Max 177 / Clubman

Steven Watt and Robert Strachan got away best at the start of the final.  Dominic Lund was a few meters back gradually closed down the leaders.  The three circulated as one.  On the final lap from Pit corner all three charged for the line and a blanket finished occurred.  Watt, Strachan and Lund were the finishing order.  Stewart Thomson came fourth followed by Duncan Urquhart and Jason Fraser.

  • 1st Steven Watt (Aberdeen)
  • 2nd Robert Strachan (Cuminstown)
  • 3rd Dominic Lund (Turriff)

KZ2UK Gearbox

Gary Williams led away followed by Colin Mcirvine and Gary Warren.  Warren was charging hard but Mcirvine was holding his own.  Warren finally got through to second at the end of Boyndie straight on lap five and began to close down the leader.  Warren was on Williams bumper and there was a slight touch at Pit Corner which gave Williams breathing space to go on to take the victory. Warran came second a few meters down.  Ryan Simpson, on his first gearbox outing closed on Mcirvine but the latter took third and Simpson fourth.  Ross Armstrong came fifth ahead of Charlie Mackintosh and John Robertson. 

  • 1st Gary Williams (Ellon)
  • 2nd Gary Warren (Aberdeen)
  • 3rd Colin Mcirvine (Insch) 

GKC Chair, Sheryl Borton, presented trophies for GKC after the meeting.

Next race meeting takes place on Sunday 14th October.