A damp start for the drivers at the final race meeting at Boyndie Circuit for 2018. 

The track dried but a shower during the interval before the finals left the drivers with a dilemma to the tyres to use.  Fourth and final round of the Boyndie Drome Open Challenge had eight different classes, which resulted in 32 races throughout the day. 


Sonny Brandie had trouble getting his engine started which resulted that both karts were circulating the circuit together.  Brandie set the quickest time of 1:01.959 in the tricky conditions.  Katie Donaldson was only 0.73 seconds behind.

  • 1st Sonny Brandie (Newmacher)
  • 2nd Katie Donaldson (Dufftown)

Honda Cadets

Max Taylor got away from the lights first, closely followed by Rhys Baillie and Leon Hastie.  Hastie retired with mechanical problems at half distance.  Lennon Allardyce and Taylor Thomson was another close pair up.  Taylor went on to take the victory with Baillie second.  Allardyce took third and Thomson fourth.

  • 1st Max Taylor (New Leeds)
  • 2nd Rhys Baillie (Broxburn)
  • 3rd Lennon Allardyce (Peterhead)

Mini Max

From the outside of the front row Jonathan Edwards took the lead from Les Taylor, Ben Burnett and Keiran Wood.  Positions throughout the final did not alter with Edwards taking the victory.

  • 1st Jonathan Edwards (Cornhill)
  • 2nd Les Taylor (New Leeds)
  • 3rd Ben Burnett (Oldmeldrum)

Prokarts (hire karts)

With all the Prokarts on slick tyres, Stuart Wyness made the best start and was leading through the second corner.  However at the Kevin’s Korner, Wyness received a small tap, which turned him around.  This dropped him down the field.  Keiran Smart took the lead followed by Keirran Glen.  This pair broke away from the pack with Smart opening a gap over Glen to take the victory.  Meanwhile Wyness had recovered to fourth and was chasing down Daniel Macrae.  Wyness caught Macrae with a lap to go and at Gate Corner took the place.  At the last corner Wyness defended and ran wide, Macrae took advantage to cross the line in third and Wyness fourth.  Jason McDonald came home in fifth and Dane Christison, sixth.

  • 1st Keiran Smart (Oldmeldrum)
  • 2nd Keirran Glen, (Cullen)
  • 3rd Daniel Macrae (Inverness)

Prokarts (owner drivers)

Once the race settled down it became spread out with Grant Miller leading followed by Nicky, Rik Christie and Garry Fleming.  As the race drew to a close Nicky’s kart slowed dramatically resulting in firstly Christie and then Fleming coming through before he reached the chequered flag.  After the race it was discovered that the brake disc carrier had sheered resulting in no brakes.

  • 1st Grant Miller (Montrose)
  • 2nd Rik Christie (Aberdeen),
  • 3rd Garry Fleming (Arbroath)

Senior Max

The drivers dilemma to which tyres to resulted in a grid of a mixture of slicks and wet tyres.  It soon became evident that it was wet tyres were the correct choice and Ryan Simpson had chosen correctly.  Streaking into a lead he was never challenged to take his first victory.  Steven Bain was also on wets came second. Third was Fraser Skene who was the first finisher on slicks who was followed home by Steven Thomson and Fraser Ballantyne.

  • 1st Ryan Simpson (Macduff)
  • 2ndSteven Bain (Leochel Cushnie)
  • 3rd Fraser Skene (Potterton)

KZ2UK Gearbox

Poleman, Ryan Simpson kart was not running correctly and disappointedly had to retire.

Neil Anderson had the best start and led from Gary Warren.   However Warren was leading by the end of the first lap.  Warren was never challenged and took the chequered flag.  Anderson finished second ahead of a strong run by Ross Armstrong.  Next up was John Robertson followed by Colin McIrvice.

  • 1st Gary Warren (Aberdeen)
  • 2nd Neil Anderson (Insch)
  • 3rd Ross Armstrong (Hatton) 

GKC Chair, Sheryl Borton, presented trophies for GKC after the meeting.

Next race meeting take place during March 2019.