The fourth and final round of the MSA club championships was held at Boyndie Drome Circuit on Sunday 14th October.

The previous day had been wet all day but race day was cloudy but dry with sun breaking through later in the day. The meeting was the second and final round of the Northern Challenge, the first round was held two weeks previously at Golspie. Feature trophies for the day were the GKC Team Trophy (teams of four drawn by ballot) and the Granville Grubb Trophy for gearbox karts only.

Sonny Brandie (Newmachar)


Sonny Brandie was the quickest from Brodie Moir, making his first visit to Boyndie circuit.


  • 1st – Sonny Brandie (Newmacher)
  • 2nd – Brodie Mair (Beauly)

Honda Cadets

A quartet of drivers broke away early in the cadet final. These were Owen Ross, Max Taylor, Calum Lewis and Alex Hawcutt. Hawcutt dropped off the leaving a trio. Both Ross and Taylor led. With three laps remaining it was all change with Lewis taking the lead from Ross and Taylor. Taylor moved into second with a lap to go. Victory went to Lewis followed home by Taylor and Ross covered by a gap of less than 0.3 of a second. Hawcutt was fourth a second down. Steven Duncan was fifth. A race long battle between Lennon Allardyce and novice Konar Simpson was resolved in the former. Ella Matheson came home eighth.


  • 1st Calum Lewis (Renfrew)
  • 2nd Max Taylor (New Leads)
  • 3rd Owen Ross (Inverness)
  • Novice – Konar Simpson (Peterhead)
(S) Jonathan Edwards closely followed by (54) Ben Burnett

Mini Max

Scottish Champion, Jonathan Edwards, immediately opened up a considerable gap over Ben Burnett, Les Taylor and Rebecca Mcphee. Taylor was harrying Burnett but the latter was resisting all advances. This pair began to close in on Edwards. With two laps to go, Taylor gained second and on the last lap was on Edwards’s bumper. Edwards won by 0.186 seconds from Taylor with Burnett a further second back. Mcphee came home in fourth.


  • 1st Jonathan Edwards (Cornhill)
  • 2nd Les Taylor (New Leads)  
  • 3rdBen Burnett (Oldmeldrum)
(37) Cameron McPhee leads (44) Gary Bird

Senior Max/ Senior Max 177

Before the race started Robert Strachan had dropped out due to throwing the drive chain. In the senior Max class Cameron Mcphee led from the lights with Gary Bird on his bumper. Bird kept up the pressure throughout the final but Macphee remained cool to take the victory. Keiran Smart was having a bad day, which cumulated in a mechanical breakdown at three quarters distance. In the 177 class, Jamie Mackay took the victory from Duncan Urquhart.

Snr Max Results

  • 1st – Cameron McPhee (Inverurie)
  • 2nd – Gary Bird (Brora)
  • 3rd – Keiran Smart (Oldmeldrum)

177 Max Results

  • 1st Jamie Mackay (Halkirk)
  • 2nd Robert Strachan (Cuminestown)
  • 3rdDuncan Urquhart (Muir of Ord)
(24) Ryan Magennis

KZ2 (gearbox class)

Three karts, Ryan Simpson, Ian Sinclair and Gregor Matheson, were involved in a collision at the first corner. Ryan Magennis got away from the lights first, closely followed by Walter Wallace. Wallace was chasing hard and closing in until Pit Corner on lap 5 when he spun out onto the wet grass, which he could not extract himself and retired from the race. Magennis took the victory. This promoted Gary Williams to second and Gary Warren to third. Warren was homing in on Williams but an error on the last lap though him sideways allow Williams to take second. Warren came home third with Gregor Matheson, fourth and Ian Sinclair fifth.


  • 1st Ryan Magennis (Beauly)
  • 2nd Gary Williams (Ellon),
  • 3rd – Gary Warren (Aberdeen) / Ian Sinclair (Inverness)

GKC Club Secretary, Dorothy Wyness, presented trophies in the clubhouse after the meeting.

The final race meeting of the year at Boyndie is on 21st October.